Saturday, March 1, 2014

Privacy vs Exposure

As a transman I am perpetually caught in a social struggle that all members of the LGBTQ society face; should I maintain my privacy for my own sake or enhance the exposure of the community at large for everyone's sake.  I think it's pretty obvious what I've chosen, but now I think it's important to explain why.
On every transgender site I have ever been to or every transperson's blog/vlog I have ever seen I am bombarded with a list of questions that are off limits to ask someone who is trans.  I find this utterly ridiculous and counter-intuitive.  There is only one question you should never ask a transperson and that's "What is your real name?"  First of all, my real name is whatever I identify as and it doesn't matter if I chose it myself or my parents gave it to me, it's not going away.  Lot's of people change their name for all kinds of reasons.  My aunt hated her name and changed it, you don't see people giving her grief.  And when a woman gets married and changes her last name you don't see people saying, "Oh that's his name, what's your real name?"  It doesn't work that way.
Putting that one question aside, you are pretty much free to ask me whatever you want.  This isn't a get out of jail free card that means you can be rude or use me as your psych experiment, but if you are polite and genuinely interested in me or trans topics I'll do my best to answer.  The reason I do this is because I want the general population of straight/cis people to understand what trans is and know what trans people are like.  That way they don't feel baffled by us and walk around thinking we are abnormal freaks that are beyond understanding.  It also bothers me when I see people getting mad when cis people ask questions because now that cis person is still confused by trans and on top of that they now think that trans people are hostile.  You have just given that person a worse view of the trans community at large and they are going to tell everyone they know about the rude tranny they met the other day.
I'm not saying you have to answer every question, or allow people to pry beyond your comfort level, but you should never tell a person that their question is invalid or wrong in some way or that they should never ask anyone that.  We all have our own limits and your's are not the same as another person's.  Just politely explain that you are not comfortable with answering that question and then let them know about all the resources they can use to find out more if they are interested.  For example, you can tell them about websites like wehappytrans.com or you can tell them about your favorite blogger or vlogger (cough, cough).
Basically, I want cis people to know as much about trans issues and trans lifestyles as possible that way they won't be confused by us or frightened of us or spread misinformation about us.  It's important for cis people to temper their excitement and use common sense when asking questions to remain polite, but it's equally important for trans people to understand that every answered question is another opened mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment