Thursday, December 26, 2013

The Christmas Season and My Quest for Answers

During this Christmas season I started to think a lot about religion; how it is incorporated into our daily lives, how we perceive it, and how we use it to judge others.  It is our greatest foundation for our moral compass, but it is also the root of much bigotry, fear, and intolerance.  Why, in a book that features the word love more times than a romance novel, do we imagine such a hateful message.
Of course I am speaking from the standpoint of a transgendered person, an idea that the Christian church would not uphold.  There are a few exceptions and some progressive churches but I am speaking about the collective majority.  In their eyes I am merely a confused, lost woman seeking solace in the sinful pleasures of lesbianism.
Therefore, I have made it one of my New Year's resolutions to explore Christian views of homosexuality.  In my search I will explore where exactly it is that the Bible condemns homosexuality, if transgender persons are mentioned, and what the Bible verses actually mean.
Will I find that homosexuality is truly a sin according to the Bible?  I hope not.  I hope that I find love and acceptance for all God's children as I have heard so much before.  I pray that scripture has been misconstrued and misinterpreted and that I can, in my own small way, help to bridge the gap between the gay and straight communities.
Either way, I still want to wish you a Merry Christmas (or a Happy Holiday at least) and a Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment